Wednesday, July 28, 2010

the journey to midwifery...

I've been pondering the past few days how tremendously grateful that I am for the opportunity that I have in my midwifery studies.  I feel truly blessed from this opportunity to learn from the best and to be in a team of people that I really love.  The more I'm exposed to other midwives and other midwife/apprentice relationships, the more I realize how good I have it.  I feel like a sponge wanting to soak up everything that I can, and for the first time in all of my schooling I'm truly passionate about what I'm doing and really enjoy studying. 

Last night I got the opportunity to be at a birth of a first-time mom who had an unmedicated, vaginal breech birth at the birth center.  It wasn't our client, but the other midwife and the mom were ok with students and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time and got to attend the birth.  Although I don't think I'd wish that experience on anyone haha, it was amazing to see how God made our bodies to give birth even in the less than ideal situations. 

I am also learning that being a midwife is about so much more than catching babies... it's intercession and hearing the Lord, its serving and loving people in their time of need, it's ministering to entire families... 

And it's definitely not glamorous :)... The truth is that I haven't been home since I left for work yesterday and I'm still wearing the same clothes.  I only got a couple of hours of sleep this morning on an uncomfortable couch in the birth center, and still had to go into work at my paying job for the day.  And did I mention that I don't get paid for a few more years and that my books and equipment are really expensive??  :)  But somehow, even with the hard things, it's so life giving and I absolutely love it! :)  And so I sit here amazed at where the Lord has brought me, and oh, so thankful!

1 comment:

  1. that is amazing! and i bet doc.s would not have let lauren have a natural birth either. i am really appreciating midwifery much more!

    ReplyDelete